Saturday, June 11, 2016

A Simple Ancenstral Prayer for my Ancestral Altar

In my recent YouTube video on my altar, I mentioned that I had a regular prayer that I used at my ancestral altar which constitutes the majority of my ancestral worship.

The original version of the prayer came from the book Magical Power of the Saints by Ray T. Malbrough though it found its way to me via the New World Witchery Podcast.

My version involves keeping two offering - a candle and a chalice of water - as the two staples of my altar. I have other things that come and go as I need them (a cauldron, a tree, a reindeer antler) but no matter what I am doing the main candle and the chalice remain.

Normally at the start of any work, regular prayer or spell work, I refresh the water and light the candle. I then say my prayer:

Departed ancestors, 
Please partake of these offering,
May this water refresh you,  
May this light give you energy.
 Know that you are greatly missed here,
And your absence is ever felt.
Please be with me, 
 Please watch over me, 
And please help my work find its way 
To those for whom it's intended.

The words shift and change with each saying, but the sentiment remains. Through this I venerate my dead and seek to maintain my connection to them so that they can provide me comfort or occasionally help my spell work.

Do you do any ancestral worship or dead veneration in your practice? Let me know in the comments. I'd love to hear about it.

Need a spell? Check me out at Fiverr https://www.fiverr.com/susanbrooke
Want to keep up with my everyday life and wanderings, friend me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/susan.brooke.75