Saturday, July 7, 2012

Moon Correspondence: A Page from my Book of Shadows


Source:
https://pixabay.com/en/eclipse-moon-sun-light-lunar-33019/
I should say that I the following was derived from the Farmer’s Almanac. I’ve altered their content to include my own interpretations. 

I've have a Book of Shadows that I haven’t added anything to it since high school. (Click here for a flip through video). This is my attempt to start a new one.

The following names of the 12 full moons can be used to alter how you see you moon deity (perhaps as a descriptor for her garb or perhaps affecting the name you give her) or you can use them as I do.  Being scientifically minded, I prefer not to see the sun or the moon as a humanoid deity with a personality.

The sun and moon are not living things as we would define them, and yet they are essential to our lives, making them sacred.  So I prefer to look at them as just that, sacred forces and objects.  In that way, I like to view the moon as a sacred orb that controls the tides and acts as a time table that helps me see the changes in the year. In that way the Wiccan or Pagan Lunar Calendar can be expressed and used to pass seasons.

So without further ado, a page from my Book of Shadows (again, see http://www.farmersalmanac.com/full-moon-names/ for the original unedited content):

The 12 Full Moons of the Year

We learned of the Full Moon names from the native peoples who inhabited this land before us.  Sometimes different moons were called different names depending on what area they were in, our homeland is huge after all.  These names specifically refer to the current conditions of the Mid Atlantic Coast.  But, since our reckoning of the year is not perfect, its important to remember that the moons may shift from time to time.  The year and moon goddess follows her own schedule after all.

January, Old Moon/Moon After Yule – After Yule the winter gets colder.  We are past the time of celebrations and must look on to the long winter.  (Also called the Full Wolf Moon in places where wolves continue to run, but there are no longer any wolves here.)

February, Full Snow Moon – The worst snow storms fall in February.  In my lifetime, I’ve seen almost 40 inches of snow fall in this month, as well as some tremendous ice storms that closed schools for weeks.  It’s a time to huddle indoors, keep the heat turned on, do everything to keep from traveling at night in the ice, and hope for a mild winter. 

March, Full Worm Moon – During this full moon, you start to see small hints of spring, though the weather is typically still cold.  However, during this month you may start to see earthworm casts which will soon bring robins. 

April, Full Egg Moon – This moon is also called the Full Pink Moon from the pink phlox that starts producing flowers in early spring. It can also be called the Full Sprouting Grass Moon or the Full Fish Moon due to spawning.

May, Full Flower Moon – The spring flowers will be in full bloom this month. This is also a heavy planting time, so the moon also has the name of the Full Corn Planting Moon. 

June, Full Strawberry Moon – Naturally grown strawberries have a short harvest period in June, causing the moon to share their name. Consider a spell in this moon phase that involves strawberries.

July, Full Buck Moon or Full Thunder Moon – July marks when one can start to notice the horns on buck appearing on their heads, but thunderstorms are also usually strongest and most plentiful during this month.

August, Full Red Moon – This moon is named such because it appears red as it rises. This also happens to be the month of the most oppressive heat, so the red is appropriate.    

September, Full Harvest Moon – This moon marks when corn is supposed to be harvested. The Harvest Moon was traditionally named as the full more that falls closest to Mabon.  Most of the time that happends in September, but it will also happen in October (in which case the September Moon is the Full Corn Moon). Obviously, the harvesting happens during this moon.

October, Full Hunter’s Moon – This full Moon is often referred to as the Full Hunter’s Moon, Blood Moon, or Sanguine Moon. It's deer season, and the leaves are starting to fall in earnest.  For those of us of a Pagan persuasion, this moon also falls closest to one of our most important holidays, giving it a special place among us.

November, Full Frosty Moon – This moon was also known as the Full Beaver Moon, because the beaver both prepares for winter but also was hunted in order to make sure there was enough fur to keep you warm during the winter. But for us now, there are not as many beavers in the area as there once were, and though there is one near my childhood home, the temperature is far more noticeable.

December, The Full Cold Moon or the Full Long Nights Moon – This month marks the true beginning of winter, and the earth continues to grow colder, with the nights extending to their longest and darkest. Another name for this moon is the Moon before Yule. During this moon, the silver orb travels the highest it will in the sky.

End of Page.

So, that’s all for now.  I’ve had quite a bit of drama the last couple of weeks.  I’ll have to go back over my posts to see how much I’ve shared here, but I will fill you in.  I’ll try to get a post out about it tomorrow if I have the time.  Bye for now.

Susan

---
I hope this post has helped you. Consider visiting the main page of my blog to see more witchy topics.

Looking for a reasonably priced, honest psychic or witch? Find me and all of my various services on my Fiver Profile: https://www.fiverr.com/susanbrooke

Want to keep up with my day to day wanderings and ramblings? Follow me on:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/susanbrooke16 or @susanbrooke16